As we age, many bodily functions, such as cognitive abilities, energy levels, and hormone production, start declining. In men, production of the hormone testosterone reduces, sometimes to critically low levels that significantly affect everyday life, from mood swings and decreases in muscle mass to low sex drives. These effects are essential for men, not just for their physical health but also their mental health.
Fortunately, the advantages of living in the modern world come with remedies for problems like low testosterone levels. Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) is a beneficial option for men to prevent or replenish their testosterone levels with benefits such as increased muscle mass and strength and restored sex drives. There are many different types of bioidentical testosterone and anabolic steroids that can be used as adjuvant therapy to treat low testosterone or hypogonadism. In this article, we will discuss the two common anabolic steroids: Nandrolone Decanoate (Deca-Durabolin) and Oxandrolone (Anavar).
What Are Nandrolone Decanoate and Oxandrolone?
Nandrolone Decanoate and Oxandrolone are two examples of anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) used to treat men whose bodies do not produce enough of the testosterone hormone. It’s a condition known as hypogonadism that affects the body, mind, and sexual functions. Symptoms of low testosterone in adult men include any of the following:
- Decrease in muscle & bone mass
- Difficulty sustaining erections
- Swollen or tender breasts
Testosterone affects the body in two ways throughout a man’s life: anabolic and androgenic. It is one of the hormones involved in men’s developmental changes in puberty and adolescence. This hormone is also responsible for developing bodily tissues, especially muscles. In post-pubescent men, testosterone is essential for regulating their libido, bone mass, fat distribution, muscle mass and strength, and the production of sperm.
The production of testosterone naturally declines with age, but there are many possible causes of low testosterone levels other than aging. A doctor can determine whether your low levels are because of age, damage to the sex organs, damage to the pituitary or hypothalamus in the brain, obesity, sleep disorders, or excessive alcohol consumption. Based on blood tests, a doctor can develop the best treatment plan for you and whether anabolic steroids such as Nandrolone Decanoate or Oxandrolone are appropriate for you.
Anabolic androgenic steroids like these two steroids are drugs derived from testosterone, the hormone naturally produced in the testes of males. Anabolic refers to muscle growth, bone density, and recovery processes. Androgenic refers to increased male characteristics such as sex organs, deeper voices, facial and body hair, and muscle mass.
There are two types of AAS: exogenous and endogenous. Exogenous steroids are synthetic versions of testosterone, and endogenous steroids are naturally occurring substances produced in the human body that is involved in testosterone production.
What Are The Treatments For Low Testosterone?
Doctors perform a blood test to check hormone levels when considering low testosterone or testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) treatment. Men with hypogonadism typically have a total testosterone level that falls below 300 nanograms per deciliter. There are various treatment options for men with low testosterone, including topical gels, oral supplements, and injections.
Nandrolone decanoate steroid treatments are exogenous steroid injections given over a few weeks. The benefits of nandrolone decanoate are that it promotes the anabolic effects of testosterone, including increasing bone density and muscle growth, while minimizing the androgenic effects. Combining this steroid with a form of testosterone might be recommended because it can slow down the natural production of testosterone.
Oxandrolone steroid treatment is also an exogenous steroid but is administered orally. Its primary use is to help combat the effects of aging on bone density and muscle mass. More commonly known as Anavar, this steroid also promotes the anabolic effects of testosterone over androgenic ones helping to increase strength and muscle mass. Oxandrolone has a higher level of anabolic effects than testosterone and works by promoting protein synthesis in the body. With any oral anabolic, it’s important to talk to your doctor about your liver function and blood test before considering its usage.
What Are The Benefits & Side Effects of These Steroids?
The benefits and side effects of these anabolic androgenic steroids depend on the dosage, duration of treatment, and individual sensitivity. These steroids are highly effective in maximizing anabolic activity, so they are ideal for testosterone replacement therapy.
When used in this way, the desired result of the therapy is not to increase masculine physical traits like a deeper voice or more body hair. The purpose is to mitigate the issues caused by low testosterone due to aging, such as decreased muscle mass, strength, sex drive, and age-related hair loss.
The side effects of these drugs vary from some common side effects to many that are uncommon or rare. The most severe symptoms develop through the abuse of these steroids. AAS treatments are prevalent among athletes and bodybuilders for muscle and strength-enhancing benefits. However, when used in these ways, users tend to abuse the drugs, which have severe and life-threatening side effects.
Benefits in TRT
The benefits of Nandrolone Decanoate and Oxandrolone in TRT include the following:
- Increase muscle growth quickly
- Promotes an increase in fat-free body mass
- It helps relieve joint pain
- Low to zero risk of hepatotoxicity (with short-term use)
Side Effects in TRT
The side effects of Nandrolone Decanoate and Oxandrolone in TRT vary, with more severe symptoms being uncommon when not abused. Those symptoms include the following:
What TRT Does Alpha Hormones Offer For Men?
offers hormone therapy consultations and telehealth services, including testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Our virtual health platform provides our patients with accessible, convenient, and secure medical care. We have several options for treatments for low testosterone
in men, including the following:
- Clomiphene and Enclomiphene: Clomiphenem (Clomid) and Enclomiphene belong to a class of medication called Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator (SERM). It is an alternative treatment option for men with hypogonadism or Low T who desire fertility. However, testosterone is more effective in raising serum testosterone levels and improving symptoms, but it will result in lower testicular volume than clomiphene or enclomiphene. Lower testicular volume is associated with decreased sperm production and decrease a man’s chance of having a child later in life. If you are younger than 40 years old, we highly recommend you take SERM and/or Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) instead of testosterone to treat your suboptimal testosterone levels.
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG): HCG is a polypeptide hormone produced by the human placenta. It can help the body increase production of testosterone and increase sperm production, which can reduce infertility. There is no decrease in testicular size with this medication. It can be used as TRT or cycle with TRT to help preserve fertility and treat testicular atrophy from exogenous testosterone usage.
- Bioidentical Testosterone: This is a type of testosterone with the same exact chemical structure of the testosterone that is produced naturally by your body. The testosterone ester comes in several forms including cypionate, enanthate, propionate, or in combination of the three. Each testosterone differs in the onset of action, duration of action, and side effects profile.
- Nandrolone Decanoate: Nandrolone Decanoate is an injectable anabolic steroid which we can use an adjuvant therapy to treat hypogonadal men who are also suffering from joint pain and want to increase more muscle mass especially after surgery and for physical rehabilitation. One common side effect when not used correctly is erectile dysfunction from nandrolone metabolite. It’s best use in an injectable form (not topical) and can be combined with bioidentical testosterone cypionate and enanthate. We highly recommend the patient find out the underlying cause of the joint pain before considering Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid (AAS) therapy to reduce pain and restore function.
- Oral Anabolic Steroid: With any oral anabolic, it’s best to consult with a doctor and check your liver function and blood test. Oral anabolic steroid such as Oxandrolone (Anavar) is used to promote muscle growth and weight gain following severe trauma, extensive surgery, muscle atrophy, chronic infections, autoimmune conditions, and long term use of corticosteroid medication such as hydrocortisone/prednisone.
- Aromatase Inhibitor (AI): Aromatase Inhibitor is a medication that’s used to lower estrogen level by inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to estrogen. There are three types of aromatase inhibitors currently approved by the FDA: Exemestane (Aromasin), Anastrozole (Arimidex), and Letrozole (Femara). Anastrozole is the most commonly used aromatase inhibitor to decrease unwanted side effects of high estrogen such as nipple sensitivity, breast tenderness, puffy nipples, and man boobs (gynecomastia) while on TRT. In rare case, another medication called Tamoxifen can be used to treat gynecomastia. Aromatase inhibitor is not recommended in all men who are on TRT and should be used sparingly depending on each individual case.
Our process for determining which treatment is best suited for you consists of four simple steps after booking an appointment:
- Consultation appointment to discuss a wellness plan
- Completing diagnostic lab tests
- Discussion of results and treatment options
- Starting at-home treatment with medication shipped directly to your house and follow-up telehealth visits
If you are struggling with symptoms of low testosterone levels and want to know whether anabolic androgenic therapy is right for you, Book Appointment
to discuss your treatment options. Alpha Hormones focuses on optimizing your health so you can be the best version of yourself.